Carbon Monoxide

2015 December 1
by Judy

We’ve now written a few blogs on safety for the Holidays and would like to continue with a few more important items and then talk about fun things like new TVs and appliances in upcoming posts.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is the number one cause of poisoning deaths in the U.S. A colorless and odorless gas, CO is a byproduct of combustion. That’s why you should never use a charcoal grill inside , or leave the car running in the garage. That’s also why it’s so important to properly vent fuel-burning major appliances like furnaces, water heaters, clothes dryers, ovens and ranges.  Since most are either hard wired or battery operated, it is important to have them check often.  We cannot say this enough.

Hard wired models have the advantage of being linked to each other, but if the electricity goes out, so does the detection system. Any hard-wired unit should include a battery backup. Battery operated  units are much simpler to install and will not fail in a power outage. However batteries should be replaced every 4-6 months.

We would be happy  to inspect these for you.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Note: You can use basic XHTML in your comments. Your email address will never be published.

Subscribe to this comment feed via RSS